عنوان مقاله [English]
In traditional Bazaars social interactions, parallel to economic and movement interactions, created a mixed urban space which was dynamic, lively and attractive to the audience. However, modern shopping centers and shopping malls are economy focused and void of variety of urban spaces like traditional bazaars. The presence of public open spaces and urban squares undetectable from traditional bazaars – called lost space in modern commercial centers – play a great role in supporting citizens’ social relations and interaction, resulting in the increase of social capital. This research focuses on two case studies – Bazaar-e Reza and Proma shopping center – in Mashhad. Therefore, the present article using analysis of the rigorous literature review, by presenting extracted theoretical framework in order to recognize influential constructs in supporting citizens’ social interactions in traditional Bazaars. Since in this research, a mixed – method was used, finally to examine validity of the research and also gaining citizens’ ideas, a questionnaire survey was applied toward utilizing inferential statistic – structural equation modelling by LISREL software. The results of this research reveal that the two spatial-aesthetic and functional constructs play pivotal roles in supporting citizens social interaction. In this regard, vitality and access – linkage as factors of spatial-aesthetic construct and inclusiveness and personalization as factors of functional constructs played main role towards supporting citizens social interaction. Finally the results of this study can be utilized in the formation of urban plazas in today’s commercial centers to provide a suitable context for increasing the social capital level in structure of public open spaces in the city.
- Ardalan, N. & bakhtiyar, l. (1999). The Sense of Unity: The Sufi Tradition in Persian Architecture, USA: ABC International Group.
- Bullen, P. Onyx, J. (1998). Measuring Social Capital in Five Communities in New South Wales: Paul Bullen and Jenny Onyx with Neighbourhood and Community Centres. (2012.3.16), URL: http://www.mapl.com.au.
- Bardianamoradnejad, R. (2011). An Introductionto Urban Squares. Sari: Mazandaran University Publisher.
- Bentley, I. & alan. Murrain, P. McGlynn, S. Smit, G. (2008). Responsive Environments: A Manual for Designers. London:the Architectural Press.
- Canter, D. (1977). The Psychology of Place. London: Architectural Press.
- Carmona, M. (2011). The Design Dimension of Planning: Theory, Content and Best Practice for Design Policies. London: Taylor& Francis Group.
- Carmona, M., Heath, T., Oc, T. & Tiesdell, S. (2010). Public Places - Urban Spaces. London: Architectural Press.
- Cooper, M., Carolyn, F. (2008). People places: design guidelines for urban open space. London: VanNostrandReinhold.
- Cooper, M. & Sarkissian,W. (1997). Housing as if People Mattered. Berkeley: University of California Press
- Cullen, G. (2012). Concise Townscape. London: Taylor & Francis
- Falamaki, M. (2005). Experience of Urban Restoration: from Shiraz to Venice. Tehran: Faza Publisher.
- Goodsell, Ch. (2008). THE CONCEPT OF PUBLIC SPACE AND ITS DEMOCRATIC MANIFESTATIONS. Journal of Planning Education and Research, No 27, 382-399.
- Homans, G. C. (1974). Social Behaviour: Its Elementary Forms. New Jersey: Rutgers.
- Habibi, M. (2012). From Precity to City. Tehran: Tehran University Press.
- Jacobs, J. (1992). The Death and Life of Great American Cities. NewYork: Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group.
- Lynch, K. (1993). The Image of the City. Cambridge: MIT Press
- Madanipour, A. (1996). Design of Urban Space: An Inquiry intoa Socio- Spatial Process. London: John Wiley & Sons Publisher.
- Movahed, A. (2005). Restoration of Traditional Bazaars. Isfahan: National Conferences Desert Architecture.
- Miller, M. (1998). Shopping, Place and Identity. London: Routledge.
- Naghizadeh, M. (2010). Analysis and Design of Urban Space. Tehran: Jahad University Publisher.
- Norberg-Schulz, C. (2000). Architecture: Presence, Language, and Place. London: Skira.
- Pakzad, J. (2007). Guideline Urban Space Design. Tehran: Shahidi Publisher.
- Punter, J. V. (1991). Participation in the Design of Urban Space, Landscape Design, Vol 200.
- Project for Public Spaces. (2006). SPACE INTO THE PLACE: Using Public Spaces to Rebuild Communities. (2012.3.25). URL: http://www.PPS.org/
- Soltanzadeh, H. (2007). Iranian Bazaars. Tehran: Culture Research Bureau Municipality of Tehran.
- Soltanzadeh, H. (2010). Urban Spaces in the Historical Texture of Iran. Tehran: Culture Research Bureau Municipality of Tehran.
- Sorkin, M. (2011). All Over the Map: Writing on Buildings and Cities. NewYork:Verso.
- Steele, F. (2007). The Sense of Place. Boston: CBI Publishing Company.
- Trancik, R. (1986). Finding Lost Space: Theories of Urban Design. Ithaca: Cornell University.
- Venturi, R. (2008). Learning from Las Vegas. London: Routledge.